It’s the final day of February 2021! It’s also #SongLyricsSunday! This week’s prompt deals with weather words: sky, wind, breeze, and cloud. My pick for this week’s prompt is the 1994 song “Tiānkōng” (天空; Sky) by Faye Wong. Check out this soothing tune by the amazing Mandopop/Cantopop singer Faye Wong below! I think you will like it just as much I did!
Faye Wong’s “Tiānkōng”
“Tiānkōng” comes from the same-titled album that was released on November 10, 1994. The album was Faye Wong’s second album in her native language Mandarin (before then, she was famous for singing in Cantonese after moving to Hong Kong in the 80s). For “Tiānkōng”, the lyrics were written by Huang Guilan who has written a variety of songs for pop and gospel songs by artists in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and China. The music was composed by Yang Minghuang, who died in 1995 by being hit by a motorcycle.
The song was used as an insert song for the Hong Kong movie Mermaid Got Married (人魚傳說). If you are wondering what this movie is all about, think of the 1984 movie Splash but in Hong Kong instead of New York City. Both movies have small differences, but the same general plot. I can’t spoil where in Mermaid Got Married does “Tiānkōng” appear, but it is at a pivotal part. (And you can find the movie with English subtitles on Youtube for free. It is a wonderful movie. Mermaid Got Married is actually one of my favorites because I think the mermaid in the story is the best.)
Faye Wong’s “Tiānkōng” is a mellow slow-tempo tune that will help you to enjoy your day. How about you, what do you think about the tune? Listen to it below and let me know what you think in the comments!
The song was covered by Singaporean singer-songwriter Stefanie Sun on her 2002 album Start:
“Tiānkōng” was later covered in 2008 by Taiwanese singer Wei Ruyun:
The Lyrics For “Tiānkōng”
Here is the English translation for the song, all credits goes to AlltheLyrics:
why does it filled with wet tears
why does it always grey-faced
floating on the other side of the world
allowing loneliness to encroach
over and over
draws on lengthy longings
should suspend a thinking cloud
should have a cold moon
left on the otherside of the world
Allowing loneliness to conquer
night over night
Hiding deep longing
when will it be one
when can they be joined
waiting on each side of the world
Allowing loneliness to mock
year after year
piled with layers of longing
no longer filled with wet tears
no longer put on a grey face
If you want to participate, here are the rules:
- Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not.
- Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
- Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
- Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
- Ping back to this post will eventually work, as long as you are being patient, but you can also place your link in the comments if you don’t like to wait.
- Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
- Feel free to suggest future prompts.
- Have fun and enjoy the music.