Happy #SongLyricsSunday! Today’s theme is “Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Snack”. I was adventurous today and chose a song that I have never heard before. I picked Bob Dylan and the Band’s “Orange Juice Blues (Blues for Breakfast)”. I know who is Bob Dylan and some of his music, but I don’t listen to him often. I can casually listen to him though. But, without any further ado, let’s explore “Orange Juice Blues (Blues for Breakfast)” a little bit more.
You Had a Hard Time Waking This Morning
“Orange Juice Blues (Blues for Breakfast)” was the second track off Bob Dylan’s 1975 album The Basement Tapes with the Band. It is described as an up-tempo bluesy number that has a style like rollicking bar-room R&B. The tune was originally recorded by Richard Manuel on vocals and Rick Danko on bass at Woodstock. Then, eight years later, the rest of the Band’s parts were overdubbed. I don’t know what was Dylan’s involvement with this track as the liner notes don’t say anything.
The reason why I choose “Orange Juice Blues (Blues for Breakfast)” is because of the lyrics. They are something I can relate to. Although I am not in a relationship nor I live with someone, so parts of true for me like ” I had a hard time waking this morning”, “Cuz I’m tired of everything”, and “I got a lotta things on my mind”. I don’t have these feelings every day but maybe once or twice a week, especially when I am so tired.
How about you: How can you relate to “Orange Juice Blues (Blues for Breakfast)”? Listen to the song below and let me know what you think in the comments!
The Lyrics for “Orange Juice Blues (Blues for Breakfast)”
I had a hard time waking this morning
I got a lotta things on my mind
Like those friends of yours
They keep bringing me down
Just hangin’ round all the time
I’ve had a hard time waking most mornings
And it’s been that way for a month or more
You’ve had things your way
But now I’ve got to say
I’m on my way out the door
Why don’t you get right, try to get right, baby
You haven’t been right with me, why don’t you get right?
Try and get right, baby, don’t you remember how it used to be?
You had a hard time waking this morning
And I can see it in your empty eyes
But there’s no need for talking
Or walking round the block
Just to figure out the reason why
I have a hard time handing out warnings
I’ll just slide on out the door
Cuz I’m tired of everything
Being beautiful, beautiful
And I ain’t coming back no more
The Rules for #SongLyricsSunday
(This challenge is currently hosted by the generous Jim Adams.)
Anyone can participate in #SongLyricsSunday, even if you aren’t a music blogger! If you want to participate, here are the rules:
- Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not.
- Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
- Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
- Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
- Pingback to this post will eventually work, as long as you are being patient, but you can also place your link in the comments if you don’t like to wait.
- Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
- Feel free to suggest future prompts.
- Have fun and enjoy the music.